Monday, April 14, 2014

Re: Many problems, how to debug on startup


On Apr 14, 2014 11:07 PM, "Tim Johnson" <tim@akwebsoft.com> wrote:
>
> I have transitioned my vim resources from OS X 10.7 to ubuntu 12.04
>
> I've got a real mess and rather than go into the gory details, I
> need two sets of advice to begin with
>
> 1) When I start gvim, I get an error message that says "No Mapping
> Found" - most mapping does appear to work, so I need to step through
> gvim startup process.
>   -- if I do `gvim -V20', I can see the startup steps, but I need to
>   capture those messages in a file 'gvim -V20 > debug.txt' doesn't
>   give me any results. Which syntax should I use?

You should set &verbosefile option in --cmd.

>
> 2)Once I have gvim started, I'm getting erratic results when I
> restore a session. Some sessions are fine, others have the syntax
> highlight turned off and I can't get it to resume, among other
> issues...
>   -- similarly, I need a process to step through the session
>   restoration.

You can use :debug or use &verbose with &verbosefile, but I doubt this will help. These are helpful if you need to determine what and why is run, but much less helpful if you need to determine why something is *not* run.

---

Note that &verbose option may change execution flow, same for :debug. Specifically they are not compatible with some NERDTree functions if they are called inside :try: both &verbose and :debug try to dump returned values under certain circumstances and when they try to do this with recursive (containing themselves) data structures they fail because they use string() code. This failure when happened inside :try is transformed into an exception. I also think (but have not actually checked) that this failure also affects :redir.

>
> Any help would be appreciated, answering the questions above should
> enable me to trouble-shoot. In the meantime, I have a compromised
> development platform.
>
> TIA
> --
> Tim
> tim at tee jay forty nine dot com or akwebsoft dot com
> http://www.akwebsoft.com, http://www.tj49.com
>
> --
> --
> You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
> Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
> For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: