Wednesday, April 9, 2014

systematic replacement of text

Hi,

In a file with many occurrences of something like this:

\xxx{a variable number of words that I want to delete}{a variable (diferent)
number of words that I want to keep}

I would like to eliminate at once in all occurrences in the file the following:
\xxx
the two pairs of {}
the content of the first {} independently of its size (which can be different
from occurrence to occurrence)

That is, I want to keep only the content of the second pair of {} above.
In this case, I would like to obtain:
a variable (diferent) number of words that I want to keep

\xxx{argument 1}{argument 2} can exist more than once in a line, but never
will exist a \xxx in the arguments of another \xxx.

If "argument 1" and "argument 2" were kept in all occurrences, I could solve
my problem with something like this:
:1,$ s/\\xxx{argument 1}{argument 2}/argument 2/g
but my problem is that argument 1 and argument 2 are different from occurrence
to occurrence.
Don't know if this info is needed or not: both argument 1 and/or argument 2
can contain the symbols \ {}.

Can someone help me?

Thank you very much,
Natércia

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: