Friday, February 19, 2016

Re: How to get rounded bullet list character

* Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@gmail.com> [160219 16:03]:
> On my system (openSUSE lEAP 42.1), the various
> /usr/share/X11/locale/*/Compose vary greatly in length, from 44 (44
> empty lines) for C to 564170 bytes for en_US.UTF-8 (which has entries
> for incredibly many scripts).
> Most (but not all) lines require a <Multi_key> (or Compose key) which
> is always followed by at least two other keystrokes, so it is not (I
> presume) the AltGr key present on my Belgian AZERTY keyboard. I'm not
> sure what it is or whether I've got it.

Okay, now I am really embarrassed! I looked at en_US.UTF-8/Compose
several times (with less) and could swear it only had a couple dozen
lines! My terminal window has 72 lines, and less displayed 27 lines of
text at the bottom of the screen, which is the behavior I expect for a
file with 27 lines. The reality is that the file has 6039 lines, the
first 44 of which are blank! It does indeed appear to have all the
Compose combinations in it.

Thanks Tony!

I had actually Googled a couple weeks ago (unrelated to this thread) to
figure out how to set up the compose key, so I may be mis-remembering,
but some of the pages said that AltGr is the default Compose key for X,
and some people said it worked and others said it didn't.

You can try it on your system by pressing AltGr ' e (the Compose key
acts as a prefix, not a shift-type key). This will display é if it
works. If that doesn't work you can try setting XKBOPTIONS as described
in my previous message. I'm not sure what values are legal for compose;
I know rwin and menu work (I use menu).

...Marvin

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: