Friday, February 19, 2016

Re: How to get rounded bullet list character

On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 2:30 AM, Marvin Renich <mrvn@renich.org> wrote:
> * Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@gmail.com> [160219 16:03]:
>> On my system (openSUSE lEAP 42.1), the various
>> /usr/share/X11/locale/*/Compose vary greatly in length, from 44 (44
>> empty lines) for C to 564170 bytes for en_US.UTF-8 (which has entries
>> for incredibly many scripts).
>> Most (but not all) lines require a <Multi_key> (or Compose key) which
>> is always followed by at least two other keystrokes, so it is not (I
>> presume) the AltGr key present on my Belgian AZERTY keyboard. I'm not
>> sure what it is or whether I've got it.
>
> Okay, now I am really embarrassed! I looked at en_US.UTF-8/Compose
> several times (with less) and could swear it only had a couple dozen
> lines! My terminal window has 72 lines, and less displayed 27 lines of
> text at the bottom of the screen, which is the behavior I expect for a
> file with 27 lines. The reality is that the file has 6039 lines, the
> first 44 of which are blank! It does indeed appear to have all the
> Compose combinations in it.
>
> Thanks Tony!
>
> I had actually Googled a couple weeks ago (unrelated to this thread) to
> figure out how to set up the compose key, so I may be mis-remembering,
> but some of the pages said that AltGr is the default Compose key for X,
> and some people said it worked and others said it didn't.
>
> You can try it on your system by pressing AltGr ' e (the Compose key
> acts as a prefix, not a shift-type key). This will display é if it
> works. If that doesn't work you can try setting XKBOPTIONS as described
> in my previous message. I'm not sure what values are legal for compose;
> I know rwin and menu work (I use menu).
>
> ...Marvin

less will tell you at which percentage of the file you are, but when
reading from a pipe it does so only after having got to the end. Some
of its keystrokes are similar to Vim's, but not always identical: G
goes to the end then g goes back to the begin and now you have
percentages. When reading from a file (such as that Compose file) it
gives you percentages immediately on its status line near the bottom
left of the terminal.


AltGr on my system is strictly a "press and hold" key, in the same
family as Shift, Ctrl and Alt, see
http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/other/keybbe.htm
On my keyboard it produces a number of dead keys, and also some which
aren't dead: e.g. AltGr+s → ß, AltGr+Shift+l-as-lima →Ł, AltGr+o → œ,
etc.; or AltGr+ù followed by o → ó, AltGr+Shift+µ followed by u → ŭ,
AltGr+comma followed by Shift+c → Ç, etc.
Press and release AltGr followed by 'e gives 'e, and AltGr+apostrophe
(i.e., press and hold AltGr, press and release apostrophe, release
AltGr) gives ¼ so that doesn't work either. (Press and hold AltGr,
press and release apostrophe, press and release e, release AltGr gives
¼€ because € is AltGr+e). I have a precomposed é (2 without Shift) but
É is AltGr+ù (giving dead-acute) followed by Shift+e. I wouldn't want
to lose all these combinations.
When I need something which my keyboard hasn't got, I put it on the
clipboard in Vim (using i_CTRL-V_digit in a ":let @+ =" statement on
the command-line); or else for those I expect to be using repeatedly
(such as the bullet but also the em-dash, the ellipsis, the white and
black florets, …) I have them preset in the "Character Palette"
extension to SeaMonkey (or Firefox or Thunderbird) so I can put them
on the clipboard without switching out of the browser or of the
mailer. For those I'd expect to be using mostly in Vim I would create
digraphs if they hadn't yet got one.


Best regards,
Tony.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: