Sunday, December 10, 2017

Re: Finding the recovered swap name

On 2017-12-10, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> Gary Johnson wrote:
>
> > On 2017-12-09, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> > > Gary Johnson wrote:
> > >
> > > > If I try to recover a file using the :recover command and there is
> > > > more than one swap file for that file, Vim presents a list of "Swap
> > > > files found" and asks me to "Enter number of swap file to use".
> > > > Vim then suggests that I "may want to delete the .swp file now." To
> > > > do that, I have to write down or remember which swap file I chose so
> > > > that I can delete the right one when I've verified the recovered
> > > > file's contents.
> > > >
> > > > Is there some way to have Vim tell me which swap file it used to
> > > > recover the current file?
> > >
> > > I usually edit the file again and at the "existing swap file prompt"
> > > select "D" for delete. If there are multiple I suppose only the one you
> > > used is relevant and all others can be deleted as well?
> >
> > I my case, I often open a couple of vim or gvim instances and use
> > them for taking notes, without saving any of the buffers to files.
> > When I'm done with each of them, I just quit Vim and I don't have to
> > clean up any files. However, every now and then, the machine I'm
> > using goes down or is taken down without warning, and I need to
> > recover the buffers I had open. So I start vim or gvim, execute
> > :recover and am presented with a list of swap files found with names
> > like
> >
> > %home%gary.swn
> > %home%gary.swo
> > %home%gary.swp
> >
> > I open each one and see if I need to keep the contents. Then,
> > whether or not I want to keep one, I have to delete its swap file.
> > But which one? Yes, I could just pay close attention and remember
> > which swap file I opened in which window, and remember the swap
> > directory used on that particular machine, but it would be so nice
> > to be able to write a command like :DeleteSwap and have it just know
> > the swap directory (that I can do) and the swap file name and just
> > do it without me having to think.
>
> Perhaps we can put the name in b:recovered_swapfile, then you can define
> a command to use that.

If you could, that would be great.

Regards,
Gary

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: