Saturday, January 27, 2018

Print to PDF (and open in browser)

Hello (sorry for my poor English),

I need to send a lot of emails (50-70) from lists everyday and I had found a good way to save my time pasting the list to Writer, exporting it to pdf, opening pdf in chromium and going directly to Gmail when I click on the links.

Then I started to learn Vim (few months ago) and I found a new way to do the job with one command: in my .vimrc I put the following remap

"PRINT TO PDF / PRINT AND OPEN TO CHROMIUM
nmap <C-Home> :ha > newfile.ps <cr> :! ps2pdf newfile.ps<cr>:! rm newfile.ps<cr>
nmap <C-S-Home> :ha > newfile.ps <cr> :! ps2pdf newfile.ps<cr>:! rm newfile.ps && chromium newfile.pdf<cr>

So, in the first line I put the command to create a PDF.
In the second line I create PDF and open it to chromium (Debian is my OS, and Chromium is my default and favorite browser).
Then, as above, I click on the addresses in PDF document and go directly to Gmail, which is my default email "client" (ok, it's not a client but I set it to be the default email).

The only problem is that I have to rename "newfile" to a different name everytime. It's not a dramatic issue indeed, but...

My questions:

1) Is there a more elegant or effective way to do the same things?

2) Is there a way to open an email address from VIM and land in Gmail without creating a PDF? In Vim I open urls using gx but it doesn't work with email addresses.

Thank you! :-)

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: