Monday, March 19, 2018

Re: Windows Subsystem for Linux and gvim

Hi Alessandro and Eric,

Thanks for your feedback. Since I'm familiar with Cygwin, I've
decided to go ahead and install that on my laptop.

Regards,

--
Mun


On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 11:31 AM, Eric Christopherson
<echristopherson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 10:27 AM, Mun <mjelists@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm running Ubuntu on my PC via the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)
>> and of course it only comes with vim (not gvim). However, I've also
>> installed gvim80. I can launch gvim from within the WSL Bash window
>> but it doesn't see my WSL files.
>>
>> Web searches state it's not a good idea to try to access WSL files
>> from Windows proper. I just thought I'd ask this community if anyone
>> has come up with a good solution to use gvim from within WSL.
>
>
> If I understand correctly, the program that starts when you type gvim in WSL
> (as you have it configured currently) is the Windows GVim; therefore I
> believe you haven't installed gvim in the Linux part (via vim-gnome or
> vim-gtk or similar). If you do install a Linux gvim package, it will give
> you a GUI running on X, which would require you to run an X server (e.g.
> Xming or VcXsrv) on Windows as well. That would give you access to the Linux
> files, and to Windows-side files through /mnt/c and the like. Note that I'm
> not sure what kinds of caveats exist for accessing /mnt/c from Linux.
>
> --
> Eric Christopherson
>
> --
> --
> You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
> Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
> For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "vim_use" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: