Friday, November 29, 2019

vim mode and mapping

hi, I use colemak keyboard layout, and put many mappings in my vimrc to simulate vim finger movements on the original querty layout. it mostly works fine but there are some mappings don't work up to expectation and I am trying to understand why. for example, if I have these mappings
noremap u i  noremap r p
I expect pressing vur to select current paragraph since that should be mapped to vip. in reality, however, I have to press vup to select the paragraph. judging from the effect, the u key is correctly translated to i for processing, whereas the next r key isn't and I really have to type in a plain p key for vim to receive a functional sequence. this is pretty inconsistent and confusing and I have to remember the key after v is subject to my mappings, and the next one isn't.

what makes to two mapped keys behave differently? as far as I can tell, they should all be available under nvo modes. thanks.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/4b05c8b8-7298-41af-95cf-679fa3c72de9%40googlegroups.com.

No comments: