Monday, August 10, 2020

Re: Another variation on the "Using Vim as a Hex Editor" question

On 2020-08-10, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> People,
>
> I can't find a way to do _exactly_ what I want so here is the Q - I'm
> guessing it might need a plugin:
>
> - I want to display ASCII as normal
>
> - I want to display the HEX codes for non-ASCII / Unicode chars
> inline - maybe in square brackets, maybe coloured
>
> - I don't want to display TABs or LFs (like with the :list command)
>
> I just want to see what sort of characters are causing my alignment
> problems - BEFORE I delete them . .
>
> Does this make sense?

By some experimentation, playing with the settings I could think of,
I found that the following settings seem to do what you want.

:set encoding=latin1
:set display+=uhex
:set isprint=

That should display any non-ASCII characters as their hex values in
angle brackets, e.g., <a0>, and colored with the SpecialKey
highlighting.

HTH,
Gary

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/20200810121046.GB12169%40phoenix.

No comments: