Tuesday, August 18, 2020

responsiveness issues when editing buffers loaded from mapped network drives

Hi,

I'm using gvim (v.8.2) on Windows. Most of the files that I need to edit are stored on a remote server, but I am opening them directly as "local files" through a mapped network drive. Typically, it takes vim 3-5 seconds to open or save one of those files, which comes as no surprise to me. However, unfortunately, vim also responds *very* slowly whenever I try to change between the tabs or windows containing the buffers associated with files on the network drive. And, in fact, even when I'm not switching between the buffers, vim will sometimes hang for a few seconds seemingly for no reason. Why would vim exhibit these responsiveness issues? I would presume that the responsiveness issues arise as a result of vim trying to make network requests. However, I see no real need for vim to make network requests other than when the buffer is opened or saved, and I would like to know how to prevent it from doing so.

I configured vim so that all swap, backup, and undo files are stored on the local disk:

set directory=~/vimfiles/swp//
set backupdir=~/vimfiles/backup//
set undodir=~/vimfiles/undo//

However, I am pretty sure that one reason that vim is making network requests is to check whether the file on disk has changed since it was last loaded. And, in fact, gvim *does* spontaneously alert me when it thinks that file on disk has been changed by another user. So, gvim *must* be making network requests to do that. Now, I was under the impression that vim only makes these checks (before an attempt to save the file) when the :checktime command is run. So, I searched the output of the :autocmd command for any reference to the :checktime command, but I could find none.

So, why is gvim checking whether the file on disk has been changed? How do I stop it from doing that? And are there any other causes for network requests that I ought to know about?

- Aaron

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/423f4df6-5ecb-4089-b491-920d385c7fcbn%40googlegroups.com.

No comments: