Monday, August 10, 2020

Re: Another variation on the "Using Vim as a Hex Editor" question

Gary,


On 2020-08-10 22:10, Gary Johnson wrote:
> On 2020-08-10, Philip Rhoades wrote:
>> People,
>>
>> I can't find a way to do _exactly_ what I want so here is the Q - I'm
>> guessing it might need a plugin:
>>
>> - I want to display ASCII as normal
>>
>> - I want to display the HEX codes for non-ASCII / Unicode chars
>> inline - maybe in square brackets, maybe coloured
>>
>> - I don't want to display TABs or LFs (like with the :list command)
>>
>> I just want to see what sort of characters are causing my alignment
>> problems - BEFORE I delete them . .
>>
>> Does this make sense?
>
> By some experimentation, playing with the settings I could think of,
> I found that the following settings seem to do what you want.
>
> :set encoding=latin1
> :set display+=uhex
> :set isprint=
>
> That should display any non-ASCII characters as their hex values in
> angle brackets, e.g., <a0>, and colored with the SpecialKey
> highlighting.


Perfect! - thanks so much for that! - it was exactly what I wanted . . I
have put it in my .vimrc now.

Regards,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra NSW 2794
Australia
E-mail: phil@pricom.com.au

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/4a9c97d65931b0856767d7e5c624b08f%40pricom.com.au.

No comments: