Saturday, August 22, 2020

Re: Meta: How to read this forum/board now that Google Groups is busted

Richard Mitchell wrote:

> On Saturday, August 22, 2020 at 3:01:22 PM UTC-4, ottavio2006-usenet2012
> wrote:
>
>> A quick loot at posters' email reveals most don't use gmail; I assume
>> they check their emails in an email client, as you do.
>>
>> Maybe time to move this mailing list away from Google Groups?
>
> Yes, I have an email address, but I don't read this or any other lists I
> regularly read via email nor do I have any desire to do so.
>
> I'm all for moving back to newsgroups, where did they go anyway? This
> seems to be the closest resemblance to what they were, except there were
> independent news readers to choose from.

You can read (and post to) this list as a newsgroup by connecting to the
Gmane NNTP server (news.gmane.io). The vim_use list corresponds to the
gmane.editors.vim group.

Since you need to be subscribed to post, it's still necessary to send a
"subscribe me" email from the appropriate address. One wrinkle is that you
need to log in to Google if you want to turn on the "don't email me"
setting, so if you're using an email address that isn't associated with a
Google account--or if you just can't log in to Google for whatever
reason--there's no way to turn off the emails. I ended up using an email
filter to automatically discard messages from the list, since I only want to
see them in my newsreader.

This is obviously not a great state of affairs. I don't know of any ways to
run a mailing list that don't have the potential for vendor lock-in.
Sourcehut has a mailing-list offering, but it seems like it might be geared
more toward submitting and reviewing patches, and the site's user interface
tends to be (sometimes intentionally) obtuse.

By the way, the newsreader I settled on was Gnus, which is part of GNU
Emacs. I wanted something that was going to be super configurable. I still
use Vim to actually edit my posts, though, and let me tell you: it is *not*
easy to find information on how to use an "external editor" from Emacs ;-)

Hope this helps,

Benjamin

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/ke667hmw.t4jmto%40bdesham.net.

No comments: