Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Re: best library for data forms entry in vim

I would think sed is best choice as the entire substitution could be scripted.

On Tuesday, November 17, 2020 at 2:40:26 PM UTC-5 hor...@gmail.com wrote:
All,

I need to quickly enter data for thousands of structured documents - ie: where I know the bulk of the document but there are placeholders for specific variables. Think something like this:

    Dear <person>

    We received your order for <name>, price <price>, quantity <quantity>, total <total>.

    Please look over the above information to make sure that this is correct.

I was hoping vim could do something like this, where it could limit the input for the user to just the categories - leaving the form intact, and where the different inputs could be linked so that some values could be calculated via the values in other inputs.

In other words, an efficient form of excel.

Anyways I was looking at vim.org, and there are a number of forms libraries there but at first glance I'm not sure which one is the most supported, user friendly, or overall functional.

So my question is what is my best bet? this would save many man-months worth of time and I was actually hoping that something like this would be supported natively in vim itself - but at first glance I don't see anything like this.
Any pointers on this would be greatly appreciated.

Ed

(ps - 

 My ideal interface would be something integrated into vim itself where I could embed pieces of perl or python code in the fields - and have the values of variables be set when users enter in these fields. Something like:

Dear {{ $person }},

    We received your order for  {{ $name }}, price {{ $price }}, quantity {{ $quantity }}, total {{ sub { $price * $quantity } }}.

but if there is an external form library that would do the equivalent I'd be happy to use it.
)

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/4990ea22-e094-48e4-8609-64b47dae68f9n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments: