Thursday, November 5, 2020

Re: .swp files

On Thu, Nov 5, 2020 at 12:53 PM Maxim Abalenkov
<maxim.abalenkov@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Kevin,
>
> I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your work. But potentially it is not Vim's problem. Vim is a text editor, not a back-up software. It is our responsibility to back-up work and organise those back-up files. To my mind Vim is already doing a great job in saving all your "historic" edits in temporary files.
>
> —
> Best wishes,
> Maxim
>
> Maxim Abalenkov \\ maxim.abalenkov@gmail.com
> +44 7 486 486 505 \\ http://mabalenk.gitlab.io
>
> On 5 Nov 2020, at 13:44, Kevin Reynolds <reykevster@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> God Damned Vim.
> It keeps trashing my files. I just lost a file that included everything I did in 2019 for some unknown reason. I open up the file and vim tells me it's already open. So I recover it, and 90% of it is gone. This is not the first time either. God Damn vim. I like vim but I will never use it again. It keeps trashing my files. God Damn you!

Yeah: Long before I knew about Vim, when doing translations on a PC-XT
using an editor much simpler than Vim (but anyway far less simple than
Notepad), I learnt to save my work ever quarter-hour and never to
stand up without first saving.

Now that I'm using Vim (with swapfiles enabled) I've kept the habit,
so if an electrical mains cutout forces me to wait then reboot, the
ATTENTION message will usually include the line "modified: no" which
means I can safely answer d(elete) as many times as there are
split-windows being reloaded. Vim never thrashes _my_ files.

Best regards,
Tony.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/CAJkCKXupBXq7z6XFhMajOTDJv2wSMtLCXTgEMbY7upWuJQKJig%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments: