Thursday, November 5, 2020

Re: .swp files

On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 at 13:17, Tony Mechelynck
<antoine.mechelynck@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yeah: Long before I knew about Vim, when doing translations on a PC-XT
> using an editor much simpler than Vim (but anyway far less simple than
> Notepad), I learnt to save my work ever quarter-hour and never to
> stand up without first saving.

I do much the same. For example, with my diary, every time I add a
new comment, I save the file, and I also usually run ":wviminfo" to
save any marks I've set.

> Now that I'm using Vim (with swapfiles enabled) I've kept the habit,
> so if an electrical mains cutout forces me to wait then reboot, the
> ATTENTION message will usually include the line "modified: no" which
> means I can safely answer d(elete) as many times as there are
> split-windows being reloaded. Vim never thrashes _my_ files.

I have the same experience. I almost never have to use the recovery option.

-Albert.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/CALPW7mTSSHV-vGkcH%2B4%3DYYhfnQASKYa2mEK3g6138Y1ZaGtxRQ%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments: