Thursday, September 29, 2022

Re: Gvim taking a minute or more to start

I've been running Vim with the HOME environment variable set for a couple of weeks now and it's remained consistently fast to start up.  As a test I went back to unsetting $HOME and it went back to being very slow to start, so there's definitely some combination of the way I've got vim set up (the lack of any configuration in %USERPROFILE%, the directory structure with c:\vim\vimfiles, c:\vim\runtime and c:\vim\gvim.exe) and the lack of a HOME environment variable that makes gvim decide to go extremely slowly.  I really like having the file structure as it is as I can have a copy of c:\vim (automatically synchronised) on a work network drive and if I have to use someone else's PC temporarily, it runs off the network drive with all of my configuration (albeit a bit slower due to the lack of $HOME and the fact it's loading everything over the network).

Having HOME set is a bit of a pain to be honest.  I tried just setting it to /home/al (as expected by cygwin, and set by cygwin if it's not set in the global environment), but that made TortoiseHg have a flap due to there being a cygwin symbolic link .hgrc in cygwin's /home/al, which TortoiseHg didn't understand.  If I set it to anything other than /home/al, cygwin decided that the $HOME location was my new home directory and ignored all my configuration.

I ended up with HOME set somewhere suitably random and with a whole load of edited cygwin startup stuff that made sure HOME was set to /home/al in cygwin regardless of what Windows had set in the global environment.

It would have been much easier if Vim started properly without $HOME set, but I guess that's not going to be an easy thing to fix.  At least it works now.

Al

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/CAOaJ26T%3DA35qo8o-4Ni9o2888QSnApwagsCJkWcFtEH%3DLy%2ByKw%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments: