Thursday, September 8, 2022

Re: Gvim taking a minute or more to start

On Thu, 8 Sept 2022 at 17:33, David Lowry-Duda <david@lowryduda.com> wrote:
>I'm pretty sure it's something about my configuration / plugins /
>something (gvim -u NONE -U NONE takes about 5 seconds), but I'm really
>struggling to diagnose the issue / work out which plugin is
>responsible.  I've got a lot of plugins that I've added over the years
>and I probably don't need all of them, but it would be nice to which is
>the culprit rather than just start culling them at random.

Five seconds feels like a *really* long time for base gvim. I don't use
Windows, so perhaps my scale is off. But this feels like an eternity.

Yes, it isn't ideal, but I'd take 5 seconds over 30+ any day!
 
On my work machine, gvim with -u NONE takes 100 milliseconds to start.
It takes 600 milliseconds to start with my current vimrc. I use several,
but perhaps not a very large amount, of plugins. I interpret this to
mean that it might be reasonable for startuptime to multiply by a factor
of 6 or so when loading several plugins?

>Can anyone suggest what I can do to try to diagnose the cause of the
>delay?  The only thought I've had is to delete plugins from the bundle
>directory one-by-one until it starts quickly but that seems a rather
>haphazard approach.

I'll note that a binary search for relevant plugins is probably faster
than a one-by-one search. I'm sorry I wasn't more helpful.

That's a good point - I'll try that when I'm back at work tomorrow.

Al

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/CAOaJ26TgRNbbRBg%2BPtuN69LgdCB4eJMKyhdYMXsaQaA9njjoww%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments: