Friday, September 30, 2022

vim - re-register server after X reboot

Hi,

I have MS-Windows as my desktop PC, working remotely on a Linux box. So I have X server running on Windows. Although I use vim in a terminal window, I still need X-Server, as VIM uses it for server registration, and I use Vim client-server functionality a lot.

My problems begin when I have to restart X server. Then the original VIM registration is gone on the X server, and client-server functionality breaks. So far, the only way out of this is to restart VIM, and I would rather avoid this. Yes, I am aware about saving sessions etc, but I also run a lot of shells from inside Vim, so this is not what I am looking for...

What I am looking for is the ability to re-register vim as a server without quitting it. So far, I only found the function remote_startserver(). Unfortunately, this function can only be called if the vim instance has not been a server yet, which is not my case. Maybe I would be able to run it again if I could reset v:servername variable, but it is read-only :(

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Alex

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/ef1f90c5-3790-449c-8df6-2a8b2a0004a2n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments: