Friday, September 9, 2022

Re: Gvim taking a minute or more to start

On Fri, 9 Sept 2022 at 12:06, A. S. Budden <abudden@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, 8 Sept 2022, 19:29 Gary Johnson, <garyjohn@spocom.com> wrote:
On 2022-09-08, David Lowry-Duda wrote:So if I run Windows gvim from a cygwin terminal it starts quickly but if I run it from a windows command prompt or from windows explorer, it takes ages. I've tried this lots of times & it seems to be repeatable (I even created 10 instances of gvim in a loop and they all appeared straightaway).

I tried removing the HOME environment variable from cygwin (it's not set to anything in the Windows system, whereas it's set to /home/al in cygwin) and ran the command again from the cygwin terminal and it took a long time to start. I reset HOME to /home/al and it still took a long time to start! Opening a new cygwin terminal resulted in a quick start again. This is really weird!

I repeated this test on the other work PC and got exactly the same results.   I also tested it on my home PC and, while the startup time is much faster from the command prompt than on my work PCs, even on the home PC gvim starts quicker from a cygwin prompt than from a Windows command prompt.

Al

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/CAOaJ26QqnC%2BCca%2BjARGvhuQCk1uTSRA%2BP-soAKWtVm6Q1UpBXA%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments: