Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Re: BUG: terminal vim 9.0.1506 x64 window 10

On Tue, 20 Jun 2023 22:52:05 -0700 (PDT)
Steve Martin <smartin5590@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> Using the Windows CMD shell under the old CMD terminal, whatever that
> is called

It's Console Host or Conhost in short.

> Personally I use bash and Windows Terminal when I'm on Windows. It
> has features I prefer and I don't usually resize my work space after
> I've got set up. Will Microsoft fix their issues. Not gonna hold my
> breath.

I assume by "Microsoft" and "their issue" you mean the issue in Conhost.
If so, then yeah, it's not gonna get fixed. There are compatibility
reasons for that (which I don't care about), but to circumvent this the
team decided to overhaul Conhost and replace it with the new Terminal.
It'll be the default in the next . . . I donno, year perhaps? Decade?

And just to clarify, resizing MS Terminal window after launching Vim
doesn't cause any problem. MS Terminal should behave like a Linux
terminal emulator. It advertizes itself as supporting all xterm
features. Well, perhaps not all, but most of the oft-used ones.

> In the end there are a lot of choices out there, which can be both
> good and bad.

Before MS Terminal, Wezterm was the best choice. Before that, Cmder and
ConEmu. And the problem with Mintty is that it's not independent. The
reason it behaves so like a Linux terminal is because it's built with
Cygwin or Cygwin-like shells (MSys, git-bash, etc.) in mind. You can't
run Command Prompt or PowerShell on it. You can't even run Win32
version of Vim on it. You'll need a Vim built with Cygwin. That's an
extra hassle in my opinion.

> __
>
> Should there be smoke coming out of my CPU?
>
> On Tuesday, June 20, 2023 at 1:47:23 AM UTC-6 Steve Martin wrote:
>
> Looking at the Take Command website and Googling about it I can find
> no reference to Take Command as a Terminal emulator *anywhere*. I am
> guessing it has very basic, if any, capabilities at all. Thus it
> probably doesn't heed any *':set columns=*' or other vim terminal
> commands.
>
> On Monday, June 19, 2023 at 12:32:07 PM UTC-6 Ed Blackman wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jun 19, 2023 at 09:53:12AM +0200, Christian Brabandt wrote:
> > On Sa, 17 Jun 2023, Robert Solomon wrote:
> > > Windows 10
> > >
> > > My quick testing involved me starting take command and using the
> > > mouse
> to size the window. Take command shows the window size in the
> bottom right corner.
> >
> > So, can you reproduce the issue using `vim --clean` to disable any
> > of your usual customizations? What exactly is this `take` command.
> > Does it reproduce without it?
> >
> > What terminal did you use, you said?
>
> Take Command is a replacement shell (and maybe a replacement
> terminal?) for Windows: https://jpsoft.com/products/take-command.html
>
> I don't know anything about it, but thought I'd interject to clarify.
>



--
Enan

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/20230621122746.329b1a8d%40cirdan.

No comments: