Saturday, June 3, 2023

Re: [vim 9 script] String indexing behavior different from legacy Vim

On 2023-06-03, Lifepillar <lifepillar@lifepillar.me> wrote:
>> Yes, in Vim9 script the index is in characters. In legacy script it is
>> in bytes.
>>
>> The help for this doesn't have it's own tag, I'll add one.
>> You can find it above ":help vim9-gotchas".
>
> I was expecting to find it under `:help vim9-differences`, but either
> I missed the relevant item, or it's not there, in which case it could be
> added there.

Sorry, I read too fast. Maybe, a reference "see also vim9-gotchas" might
be added under vim9-differences, which seems to me the obvious place to
go (and probably easier to search than "gotchas").

Btw, despite the change having caused me some headache debugging one of
my scripts, I think that it makes a lot of sense for a text editor
scripting language to index strings by characters, so I welcome the
change!

Life.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/u5f888%24151t%243%40ciao.gmane.io.

No comments: