Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Re: Not necessarily a "question" - but need help nonetheless

Chris Jones wrote:
> I tried it with a fairly large tree called ~/tarballs and it took over a
> minute, with Vim flying at 100% CPU. There was a message to the effect
> that it was indexing/caching the nodes or something. Now the weird thing
> is that in another test, my home directory, which contains the tarballs
> tree only took 3-4 seconds - go figure.
>
> Actually I did the same test again with another instance of Vim,
> naturally, in order to take a closer look at the message, same tarballs
> directory and this time it only took about two seconds.
>
> So it looks as if there are glitches when it takes forever, and normal
> circumstances where it takes somwhere between 3-5 seconds to load a
> directory, why is too slow to my taste.
>
> I'll try to run tests again when I have more time.
>
Would you try this with netrw? Since you seem to like tree mode, put

let g:netrw_liststyle= 3

in your .vimrc. In a directory of mine with 245 files: (and loading all
my usual plugins, etc)

time gvim . -c "q"
real 0m0.22s
user 0m0.17s
sys 0m0.02s

Regards,
Chip Campbell

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: