Saturday, May 1, 2010

Re: vim.wikia.com is a poor user experience

On 01/05/10 21:50, Charlie Kester wrote:
> On Thu 29 Apr 2010 at 20:06:47 PDT stosss wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 10:19 PM, Tony Mechelynck
>> <antoine.mechelynck@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Of course, if you're already over 13 (I'll be 60 next January ;-) ) the
>>> birth date doesn't have to be bogus. :-)
>>
>> You are less then 6 years my senior.
>
> He's only eight months older than me.
>
> I wonder whether this is typical for vim users? Are we mostly a bunch
> of aging baby-boomers who learned to use computers back in the 1970's?
>
> To put it another way, is vim like a Volkswagen Beetle that we still
> drive, partly because we've never had a car we liked better and partly
> because it reminds us of our youth?
>
> - Charlie
>

I only learnt Vim a few years ago, the current version was 6.1 IIRC; I
think the first file I edited with it was /etc/lilo.conf (that I don't
use anymore). Forty years ago I would edit source files by punching onto
Hollerith cards replacement lines which were then added between or
instead of existing lines, according to their line number in columns 1-6
(for COBOL) or 1-5 (for assembly or job-control languages), into source
tapes by a program named UPDATE (that 6-bit machine's 64-character set
included no lowercase). ("Delete" lines, either by range or for single
lines, were of course also foreseen.)

For me, UPDATE was the bicycle, Notepad was the Citroën 2CV, and gvim is
the limo.


Best regards,
Tony.
--
Religion has done love a great service by making it a sin.
-- Anatole France

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: