Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Re: Function to write correctly French quotation marks

Hi,

A swedish chap suggested offlist a very good idea, which is to do a
keymap mapping:

Create a file ~/.vim/keymap/guilem.vim in which put:

loadkeymap
<< «<Char-0xa0>
>> <Char-0xa0>»

And then

:setl kmp=guilem

This a good solution for several reasons, first of all it's rather
simple :), then it can be extended to so-called double punctuation (<;>,
<:>, <?> and <!>) which in French must be preceded by a <nbsp>. So all I
have to do is add

: <Char-0xa0>:
; <Char-0xa0>;

etc... to have French writing automatically corrected. Very convenient.
All is left to me is to remember to load this keymap, which should be
fine, but if it could be done automatically when writing in French, it
would be terrific. I guess I could set this by default (I write more
often in French than in english) and disable it when writing in English
(with something like :setl nokmp, right?). Detecting a language must not
be easy I guess.

Any other suggestions?

PS: I'm probably going to adopt this solution, since it's easy and does
what I was asking for, but won't let down the ones from Christian and
Ben which seem very educative (but need some time to understand).

Steve

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: