Thursday, May 2, 2013

Re: Running Indent in a Cygwin Shell from GVim

On Wednesday, May 1, 2013 9:11:52 PM UTC-5, Bill Waters wrote:
> This may be more of a Cygwin question, but I'll see if you guys can help…
>
>  
>
> I am trying to use indent (http://www.gnu.org/software/indent/manual/indent.html) on my new Win7 machine.  When
> I ran it from GVim, I got a bunch of ^M characters inserted into the result.
>
>  
>
> I had the same problem running it in a standalone Cygwin shell.  I tracked that back to the fact that the drive was getting mounted as binary instead of text.  So, I changed the line
> in my \cygwin\etc\fstab file to this…
>
>  
>
> none /cygdrive cygdrive text,noacl,posix=0,user 0 0
>
>                               ^^^^
>
>  
>
> Then the output from indent looks as expected, with no ^M characters.
>
>  
>
> Unfortunately, I still get output with ^M characters when I run indent from GVim.
>
>  
>
> Here are the related settings in my _vimrc file:
>
>  
>
> set shell=c:/cygwin/bin/bash.exe
>
> set shellcmdflag=-c
>
>  
>
> " Run indent on the entire file
>
> nnoremap <silent> <S-F7> :%!indent<CR>
>
>  
>
> Any ideas as to how to resolve this?
>
>  
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill

Would I be assuming correctly that the file you're running 'indent' on has Windows-stlye line endings?

I'm not sure how to work around this if that's the case, but you could try piping it through tr to remove the trailing line endings before it gets to Vim. Or you could follow up the indent command with a simple :%s#\r$## command to remove them after they get back to Vim.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments: