Saturday, September 27, 2014

Focus returns to Vim's taglist window every time I execute the GDB `next` command in Conque GDB window

I'll walk you through all the steps I used to install required
software and setup my Vim with tagist and Conque GDB plugins and then
explain my issue.


### What I installed ...

I had Vim installed already.

I installed ctags, Vim's taglist plugin and Vim's Conque GDB plugin.

yum install ctags
wget http://www.vim.org/scripts/download_script.php?src_id=19574
-O
taglist.zip
unzip taglist.zip -d ~/.vim
wget "http://www.vim.org/scripts/download_script.php?src_id=22163"
-O conque_gdb.vmb
vim +"silent so % | q" conque_gdb.vmb


### Sample C source code to reproduce the issue

I wrote this little C source code file to demonstrate my issue.

#include <stdio.h>

int main()
{
printf("main 1\n");
printf("main 2\n");
printf("main 3\n");
printf("main 4\n");
return 0;
}

I saved this file as `foo.c`.


### Steps to reproduce the issue.

First compile foo.c with debugging information enabled. Then I opened vim.

$ gcc -g foo.c
$ vim foo.c

In Vim, perform the following commands.

1. Open taglist window with this command.

:TlistOpen

2. Then press <kbd>Ctrl</kbd> + <kbd>w</kbd> followed by <kbd>w</kbd>
to return to the source code window containing foo.c.
3. Then launch GDB to debug `a.out` compiled from `foo.c` with this command.

:ConqueGdb a.out

4. In the GDB window, execute the following commands to set a
breakpoint in `main` function and start debugging.

break main
run
next

5. As soon as I execute the `next` command, I find myself back in the
taglist window in insert mode, i.e. the cursor is back in the taglist
window.

Now it is a pain to press <kbd>Esc</kbd> to get back to normal mode,
then press <kbd>Ctrl</kbd> + <kbd>w</kbd> <kbd>w</kbd>, etc. everytime
to return back to the GDB window and then press <kbd>i</kbd> again to
enter insert mode and continue debugging in the GDB window.

Is there a way to prevent the cursor from returning to the taglist
window every time I execute the `next` command in the GDB window?

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: