Tuesday, September 30, 2014

How to edit remove Linux files on gVim on Windows without 'end of line' character problem?

Hi,
using gVim on Windows 7. I would like to open remote file from Linux on my Windows box and edit it in gVim for Windows.

I did the following:
1. From Putty program I have renamed PSCP.exe file to scp.exe and copied it to C:\Windows\System32\ directory.

2. Started gVim and typed in a command:
:e scp://username@server//path/to/file

3. File opens successfully. But like I see there is "end of line" character problem.

4. On Linux box I opened vim and typed in a text:
a
a
So two letters a with new line.

5. I executed :%!xxd to get the hexadecimal display of characters and I get:
61 0A 61
So 61 is letter a, and 0A is a "new line" character.

6. After executing "e scp..." command on gVim for Windows and executing :%!xxd on Windows I get:
61 0D 0A 61
So 61 is letter a, 0D is a carriage return and 0A is new line. So file was automatically converted from Unix EOL file format to Windows EOL format.

7. But when I save a file on gVim on Windows with :w and check the file on vim for Linux with :%!xxd command I see Windows EOL file format has preserved.


How to make this EOL conversion to work without a problem between Windows and Linux using gVim?

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: