Sunday, December 28, 2014

Re: [ANN] Vim for Windows build, contains all 3rd party dependencies

On Saturday, December 27, 2014 7:47:14 PM UTC-2, Shiny Bling wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just released the first VIM installer which contains all(hopefully) 3rd party dependencies.
>
> I have been using VIM on Windows for a while but I only recently started using 'more recent' plugins. I ran into issues because quite often, the plugins were written in some popular scripting language (ruby, python, ...) So I ventured to hunt down required libraries but to get it fully working turned out to be quite painful. It is not only about installing required dlls, but also about making sure they actually work.
>
> I can only imagine that for a casual VIM user, this is close to impossible to get working.
>
> So I decided to build VIM with all 3rd party dependencies myself in hope that it will be useful for others as well.
>
> This really is a build with the dependencies built as well, not just them being bundled in. Which in turn means that they share compiler optimisation flags. It is possible to build it with, for instance, AVX instruction set (modern Intel CPUs).
>
> The installer for Win7 and whole repository can be found at https://bitbucket.org/kybu/vim-for-windows-single-drop
>
> The repository is structured in a way which allows for continuous updating of the 3rd party dependencies. I will go into more detail later on in the readme file.
>
> Please let me know whether any of you find my effort useful.
>
> Thanks,
> kybu

I do because although my preferred OS is Linux, I am forced to use windows at my current job and your project will greatly help and simplify things for me. I really appreciate your effort. Thanks a lot.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: