Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Re: Expanding a variable



On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 12:23 AM, John Beckett <johnb.beckett@gmail.com> wrote:
David Fishburn wrote:
> Assume the net result is I have this:
> let test_newline = '\n'

Is this what you mean?

    :let x = '\n'
    :let x = substitute(x, '\\n', '\n', 'g')
    :echo char2nr(x)


Thanks for the response John.
 
The first line puts a string of two characters (a backslash and "n") into x.

I am glad you mentioned this because I was thinking this was 1 character (knowing what I wanted), but as you correctly pointed out, it is 2 characters.

So I was very close in my examples:
echo substitute(test_newline, '\\', "\\\\", 'g')

Had I extended that to include the 'n', it worked as I expected:
echo substitute(test_newline, '\\n', "\n", 'g')

This shows the blank lines being echoed.

Much appreciated.
Dave

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: