Saturday, November 14, 2015

Re: Console vim beeps with file beeper.txt

On 2015-11-14 15:46, 'Suresh Govindachar' via vim_use wrote:
> I copied some lines from a web-page and pasted them into console
> vim. Now when I scroll (move cursor with k or l or do <ctrl-F> or
> <ctrl-b>), vim beeps.
>
> To reproduce, use attached beeper.txt. Also, try yanking the lines
> in beeper.txt and pasting them -- I hear beeps during the paste.
>
> What's causing this and how to get rid of it?

Using the same file and "vim -u NONE" I don't get beeping behavior
(neither with vim or gvim). Nor do I get the visual bell. I do get
a beep/visual-bell if I try to extend past the end of the file, but
that's always been there. I can disable the sound with

:set vb

(":help 'visualbell'") and get a blink instead (which is actually
what I prefer, so I run with "xset -b" but I tested this using "xset
b 50 110 20" to turn it back on).

You don't mention your platform, so there might be some difference
there (my testing was on Debian Linux).

-tim


--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: