Tuesday, November 17, 2015

vim: register * and + missing in ubuntu1404 server

experts:

I recently switch from ubuntu desktop to ubuntu server , both are 14.04.
and I couldn't find the register * and +.
this seems happened twice (whenever I change a system) and looks quite annoying.
I couldn't find a working solution.

I have all necessary vim modules/apps installed.

ping@ubuntu47-3:~$ dpkg -l | grep vim
ii  vim                                       2:7.4.052-1ubuntu3                                  amd64        Vi IMproved - enhanced vi editor
ii  vim-common                                2:7.4.052-1ubuntu3                                  amd64        Vi IMproved - Common files
ii  vim-gnome                                 2:7.4.052-1ubuntu3                                  amd64        Vi IMproved - enhanced vi editor - with GNOME2 GUI
ii  vim-gtk                                   2:7.4.052-1ubuntu3                                  amd64        Vi IMproved - enhanced vi editor - with GTK2 GUI
ii  vim-gui-common                            2:7.4.052-1ubuntu3                                  all          Vi IMproved - Common GUI files
ii  vim-runtime                               2:7.4.052-1ubuntu3                                  all          Vi IMproved - Runtime files
ii  vim-tiny                                  2:7.4.052-1ubuntu3                                  amd64        Vi IMproved - enhanced vi editor - compact version


my current vim version:

VIM - Vi IMproved 7.4 (2013 Aug 10, compiled Jan  2 2014 19:39:47)
Included patches: 1-52
Compiled by buildd@
Huge version with GTK2-GNOME GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
+acl             +cmdline_compl   +diff            +find_in_path    +keymap          +modify_fname    +mouse_xterm     +profile         -sniff           +termresponse    +vreplace        -xterm_save
+arabic          +cmdline_hist    +digraphs        +float           +langmap         +mouse           +multi_byte      +python          +startuptime     +textobjects     +wildignore      +xpm
+autocmd         +cmdline_info    +dnd             +folding         +libcall         +mouseshape      +multi_lang      -python3         +statusline      +title           +wildmenu
+balloon_eval    +comments        -ebcdic          -footer          +linebreak       +mouse_dec       -mzscheme        +quickfix        -sun_workshop    +toolbar         +windows
+browse          +conceal         +emacs_tags      +fork()          +lispindent      +mouse_gpm       +netbeans_intg   +reltime         +syntax          +user_commands   +writebackup
++builtin_terms  +cryptv          +eval            +gettext         +listcmds        -mouse_jsbterm   +path_extra      +rightleft       +tag_binary      +vertsplit       +X11
+byte_offset     +cscope          +ex_extra        -hangul_input    +localmap        +mouse_netterm   +perl            +ruby            +tag_old_static  +virtualedit     -xfontset
+cindent         +cursorbind      +extra_search    +iconv           +lua             +mouse_sgr       +persistent_undo +scrollbind      -tag_any_white   +visual          +xim
+clientserver    +cursorshape     +farsi           +insert_expand   +menu            -mouse_sysmouse  +postscript      +signs           +tcl             +visualextra     +xsmp_interact
+clipboard       +dialog_con_gui  +file_in_path    +jumplist        +mksession       +mouse_urxvt     +printer         +smartindent     +terminfo        +viminfo         +xterm_clipboard
   system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
     user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
 2nd user vimrc file: "~/.vim/vimrc"
      user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
  system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
    user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
2nd user gvimrc file: "~/.vim/gvimrc"
    system menu file: "$VIMRUNTIME/menu.vim"
  fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/share/vim"
Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_GTK  -pthread -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/gdk-  
pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/gio-unix-2.0/ -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/       
libpng12 -I/usr/include/harfbuzz   -pthread -DORBIT2=1 -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/include/libgnomeui-2.0 -I/usr/include/libart-2.0 -I/usr/include/gconf/2 -I/usr/include/gnome-keyring-1 -I/usr/include/libgnome-2. 
0 -I/usr/include/libbonoboui-2.0 -I/usr/include/libgnomecanvas-2.0 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/gnome-vfs-2.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gnome-vfs-2.0/include -I/   
usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dbus-1.0/include -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/orbit-2.0 -I/usr/include/libbonobo-2.0 -I/usr/include/ 
bonobo-activation-2.0 -I/usr/include/libxml2 -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/gail-1.0 -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk-2.0/   
include -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/gio-unix-2.0/ -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/libpng12     -g -O2 -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -          
U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1     -I/usr/include/tcl8.6  -D_REENTRANT=1  -D_THREAD_SAFE=1  -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1
Linking: gcc   -L. -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro -rdynamic -Wl,-export-dynamic -Wl,-E  -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro -Wl,--as-needed -o vim   -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgio-2. 
0 -lpangoft2-1.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lcairo -lpango-1.0 -lfontconfig -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -lfreetype     -lgnomeui-2 -lSM -lICE -lbonoboui-2 -lgnomevfs-2 -lgnomecanvas-2 -lgnome-2 -     
lpopt -lbonobo-2 -lbonobo-activation -lORBit-2 -lart_lgpl_2 -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgio-2.0 -lpangoft2-1.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lcairo -lpango-1.0 -lfontconfig -lfreetype -   
lgconf-2 -lgthread-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0   -lSM -lICE -lXpm -lXt -lX11 -lXdmcp -lSM -lICE  -lm -ltinfo -lnsl  -lselinux  -lacl -lattr -lgpm -ldl  -L/usr/lib -llua5.2 -Wl,-E  -fstack-  
protector -L/usr/local/lib  -L/usr/lib/perl/5.18/CORE -lperl -ldl -lm -lpthread -lcrypt -L/usr/lib/python2.7/config-x86_64-linux-gnu -lpython2.7 -lpthread -ldl -lutil -lm -Xlinker -export-dynamic -Wl,-O1 -
Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions  -L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu -ltcl8.6 -ldl -lz -lpthread -lieee -lm -lruby-1.9.1 -lpthread -lrt -ldl -lcrypt -lm  -L/usr/lib


there is one thing I found tricky:

initially I am with "Huge version without GUI". even after I install vim-gnome and vim-gui-common it is still not change.

eventually I tried to uninstall the vim and vim-gnome and reinstall again, then I got current "Huge version with GUI" version.

that actually resolved one another issue "E319: Sorry, the command is not available in this version". but the register * and + simply doesn't appear!

although I'm a console vim user, I could have this feature available in my old system and it is important.

please shed some light of why this happened and how to solve this. my guess is I still miss some ubuntu modules since I'm now on a "server" instead of "desktop" version.

regards
ping


--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: