Wednesday, November 11, 2015

write a very basic syntax file (follow up questions)

Hi,

I sent the question "write a very basic syntax file" yesterday to this forum.
Thanks to the help provided I managed to write it.
But I have a couple of related questions.

====================================


(1) I was suggested to search for the inline help

:help new-filetype

However, if I do that, I get this

"filetype.txt.gz" [readonly][noeol][converted] 26L, 12168C
E434: Can't find tag pattern
Press ENTER or type command to continue

And therefore after hitting ENTER I only get garbage.
Why did that happen?


====================================


(2) Following the recommendations, I created a new filetype file as

$HOME/.vim/filetype.vim

and the syntax file as

$HOME/.vim/syntax/myfile.vim

But what if I want it to be part of the system?
In particular, if I want to distribute it as an RPM?
If I am not mistaken, for RHEL 6, the syntax files go under

/usr/share/vim/vim72/syntax/

and the filetype one is

/usr/share/vim/vim72/filetype.vim

Is that correct?
Is it always that PATH for RHEL hosts?
Is not possible to have separate filetype.vim files, `a la`
/.../filetype.d/ or similar?
I am asking this because creating new files with RPM is easy, adding
content to existing ones can be a truly nightmare :)


====================================


Once again, thanks a lot in advance.
Cheers,
Jose

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: