Monday, September 25, 2017

Re: libvterm color palette

On 24.09.17 14:57, 'Grant Taylor' via vim_use wrote:
> On 09/24/2017 11:46 AM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> > I suppose the xterm source code must contain the "source of truth". I
> > was assuming Leonerd took it from there, but perhaps he didn't. Should
> > be easy to fix, but I wonder if Paul will want to take it over.
>
> The last time I went digging for color information in XTerm, I was ...
> disappointed. It seems as if XTerm's colors are somewhat fluid and were
> never truly set in stone. (At least that's my understanding.)

Indeed not set in stone, as they're in a file that is so easy to edit
with nothing more than vim. But the 700+ colours in
/usr/share/X11/rgb.txt have not changed intrusively over the last 3
decades, in my experience. (goldenrod, salmon, wheat, darkslategrey are
all still there). There is one colour less in
/home/src/vim/runtime/rgb.txt here, but yours may be more up to date.

The colour and filename consistency has endured across hp-ux, solaris,
and linux over those 3 decades, and I've just set foreground and
background colours in the xterm, for consistency across vim, mutt,
shell, etc. And I've not noticed any drift in yellow or darkslategrey
over that time - so stable enough for a changeless experience.

Erik

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: