Friday, October 20, 2017

Directing which window is changed with :copen

Long a nagging annoyance, I figured it's time to ask. I frequently
will do a :vimgrep on a term under the cursor, but want the resulting
navigation to open in a new window.

$ vim somefile.c
:echo 'In my main code window'
:new
:echo 'I want my vimgrep results HERE'
:vimgrep /pattern/ *.[ch]
:copen

Navigating to my desired entry in the quickfix list and hitting Enter
on the desired line ends up navigating in my original "main code"
window, not in the window I ":copen"ed.

1) how to I know which window the Enter will impact? Vim seems to
have an uncanny ability to choose the one I *least* want to change.

2) how can I tell Vim which window I want the resulting quick-fix
"Enter" navigation to go into?

Thanks,

-tim



--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: