Monday, August 27, 2018

Re: editing textareas in Firefox with vim

On 08/27/2018 12:37 AM, Eli the Bearded wrote:
>
> Michael Henry wrote:
>> I've been using "textern" for this, though I don't use it
>> heavily.
>
> This sounds great. Clear instructions, simple install. Nothing happens.
> I even watched stdout / stderr from Firefox, no warnings or errors or
> anything at all.
>
> Textern thinks something is happening, though. If I hit <ctrl-shift-D>
> a second time, it tells me the textarea is already being edited. But ps
> says otherwise. :-(

I'm not familiar with the innards of textern, so all I can
suggest are a few debugging ideas:

- Restart everything (Firefox, your login session) and test
  again.

- Verify that you have Python 3.5+ installed on Linux as the
  ``python3`` executable in PATH.

- Test with gedit or another editor.

- Use a script in place of the editor, and within the script
  write to a file to prove the script was launched.

You may well have already tried everything I listed above and
more.  For me, it just works as advertised; hopefully you can
make it work in your environment, too.

Michael Henry

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: