Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Re: It is impossible to join unless you have a google account

On Tuesday 7 August 2018 08:44,
Christian Brabandt <cblists@256bit.org> put forth the proposition:
>
> On Di, 07 Aug 2018, David Woodfall wrote:
>
> > brings me to another point - even though I created the google group I
> > don't see any kind of admin panel anywhere, to eg get a list of
> > subscribers. I found a couple of articles online, but the settings
> > that they point to don't seem to exist for me.
>
> So for vim_use, I can manage the subscribers using the following link:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!managemembers/vim_use/members
>
> In addition, on the left side of the browser, I have a menu with all
> different settings for the list I manage. Of course this is only visible
> when I am using logged into google and that account is a manager account
> for that list

Thanks for the link. When I tried it it just took me to the normal
list view though: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/studioware

I wonder if it's because I chose to post to the list from my
studioware address and I haven't linked it to my google account?

But I think that I'll still try to find an alternative. I really
don't think it's in our interest that people should need to create a
google account to join and post, just for the inconvenience of it
really.

Re the privacy points that have been raised:

FWIW I've been using a variety of google's tools over the past
decades with no complaint at all. Having said that, nowadays I do
prefer to use other services for many things, mainly to be in a
smaller "pond" and not part of some global company.

While I agree that it's important to be aware of tracking, privacy
and similar issues, /every/ mailing list hoster only has to check his
maillog to see the IPs and other info about the posters, and anyone
hosting a website only has to look at their httpd logs to do the
same, not to mention use cookies, webbugs or any method that they
like to track/fingerprint people. I guess as soon as a company gets
big enough they will become the target for a vast increase in
scrutiny.

There are ways to avoid these issues, including not using the
services at all - vote with your feet.

-Dave

--

Q: Would you like to see the WINE list?
A: What's on it, anything expensive?
Q: No, just Solitaire and MineSweeper for now, but the WINE is free.
-- Kevin M. Bealer, about the WINdows Emulator

.--. oo
(____)//
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: