Monday, August 6, 2018

Re: It is impossible to join unless you have a google account

On Monday 6 August 2018 22:58,
Bram Moolenaar <Bram@moolenaar.net> put forth the proposition:
> If you don't have a Google Account, you can:
> - Read posts in public groups
> - Search for posts in public groups
>
> You need a Google Account to:
> - Create and manage a group
> - Join a group
> - Post to a group
> - Delete a post
> - Read a restricted group's posts
>
> It's probably because one has to accept the terms of use before you can
> post anything, which is reasonable. There is too much spam and other
> crap already. That's the whole reason we don't use something else or
> run our own.

After reading this thread I decided to look into another solution for
our Studioware group because we also use google groups. I wasn't
aware of this problem before and only set it up because it was easier
than dealing with mailman administration.

I came across this site:

http://librelist.com

I've just sent off an email to start a list, and I guess I'll see how
it goes. Mind you, our membership is much smaller than Vim's. Which
brings me to another point - even though I created the google group I
don't see any kind of admin panel anywhere, to eg get a list of
subscribers. I found a couple of articles online, but the settings
that they point to don't seem to exist for me.

--

There are two types of Linux developers - those who can spell, and
those who can't. There is a constant pitched battle between the two.
-- From one of the post-1.1.54 kernel update messages posted to c.o.l.a

.--. oo
(____)//
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: