Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Re: I tried a Vim without frills, and it taught me I've been living in luxury

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 4:36 PM, Tim Chase <vim@tim.thechases.com> wrote:
[...]
> Indeed, I often work on FreeBSD & OpenBSD boxes where nvi is the
> default vi instead of vim. I find myself missing a couple things
> like text objects, folding, multiple windows, and expression
> evaluation (whether as a register or as a sub-replace-special) the
> most. Syntax highlighting can be nice, but I can get along without
> it.

IIUC, expression evaluation (and the variables, functions, and
conditional branches and loops that go with it) is the one feature
which makes Vim script language Turing-complete, and that makes a hell
of a huge difference when writing one's vimrc. Other features are
great to have too, of course.

Oh, sure I could get along without syntax highlighting, but given the
choice I would take it. Not only when reading the help as I already
mentioned, but when writing HTML i've oftentimes got my attention
alerted by "weird" highlighting to some typo I'd made.

Best regards,
Tony.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: