Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Re: Vim "by far the best editor on the iPad"

> On Apr 1, 2019, at 11:57 AM, Peter King <peter.king@utoronto.ca> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Apr 01, 2019 at 11:28:57AM -0400, Eric Weir wrote:
>
>> Would appreciate hearing about others experiences with Vim on the iPad.
>
> I occasionally use iVim on the iPad itself, which is good implementation of
> vim (though with some limitations as you note) -- but I found that far and
> away to best way to use vim on the iPad is to ssh/mosh in to a Real Computer
> and run it there, as a command-line program. I use Blink as the app on the
> iPad I use to connect; the implementation of mosh is pretty robust and the
> terminal they provide handles anything I throw at it. In the past I've
> used Termius. Anyway, with that setup I have my full native (neo)vim with
> all plugins, configuration, etc. running; it's the best setup for the iPad
> I've found.

I did a bit of poking around on the web about how I might go about this. Still largely foreign territory for me. An initial question was whether my MacBook Air could be the "real computer" that I would log into. I've resolved that question. Only one specific question at this point: How do you deal with the absence of an escape key on an iPad in this approach. Confident that there will be other questions, but I'll wait for them to get clear. Meantime I'll keep poking around, maybe trying to try some things.

> (Under Android it's possible to get to the heavily-modded Linux core shell,
> and install vim there, for in

After I determined that the then only available Vim app for iPad was not going to work, I bought a small Android tablet and was able to set up a vim implementation that was identical to the one on my MacBook. Ultimately I decided my MacBook Air was likely to be my best Vim machine and sold the Android tablet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
eeweir@bellsouth.net

"(I)t is important that awake people be awake... the darkness around us is deep."

- William Stafford

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: