Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Re: Vim "by far the best editor on the iPad"

On Wed, Apr 03, 2019 at 12:33:15PM -0400, Eric Weir wrote:

> I did a bit of poking around on the web about how I might go about this.
> Still largely foreign territory for me. An initial question was whether
> my MacBook Air could be the "real computer" that I would log into. I've
> resolved that question. Only one specific question at this point: How do
> you deal with the absence of an escape key on an iPad in this approach.
> Confident that there will be other questions, but I'll wait for them to
> get clear. Meantime I'll keep poking around, maybe trying to try some
> things.

I use an external keyboard which has an Esc key -- a Logitech K810
bluetooth keyboard which is very satisfactory for the purpose. That
plus a stand that will allow me to set the iPad up either vertically
or horizontally (usually the former but the latter when I need to run
something side-by-side with vim) works well for me. In essence the
iPad is being treated as a dumb terminal, so where I run vim I also have
all my other files and programs available. Of course, I'm old enough to
have been raised on server/client mainframe computing, so to me this seems
perfectly natural.

--
Peter King peter.king@utoronto.ca
Department of Philosophy
170 St. George Street #521
The University of Toronto (416)-946-3170 ofc
Toronto, ON M5R 2M8
CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

=========================================================================
GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC 36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: