Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Re: Looking for help getting iVim set up

> On May 29, 2019, at 4:27 AM, 'Lifepillar' via vim_use <vim_use@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> I feel your pain, that's much harder than it should be.

Thanks much for your response. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks it's hard.

> TLDR: prepare your .vim folder in your computer exactly as you want it in iOS, open Finder, press Cmd-Shift-. to show invisible files, drag the .vim folder into iVim using iTunes Files Sharing. iTunes *does* copy dot files even if it never shows them. iTunes will even prompt you if you want to replace an existing .vim folder (iTunes UI sucks, I know).

Cmd-Shift causes invisible files and folders to be displayed in Finder. It doesn't work with the Finder file-picker as used by iTunes. I don't see how to copy files if I can't select them.

> Folders may be imported easily, actually:
>
> - with :idocuments, type `:idoc import`, then in the Files app find the folder to want to import (which you should have made available through Files in advance, e.g., by putting in your iCloud Drive), tap on Select, choose the folder and tap on Open. It works just fine for me. Files UI sucks in a stellar way, btw.

I put my .vim folder in iCloud Drive using Finder on my MacBook. It shows up there on the MacBook. It doesn't show up in iCloud Drive accessed through the Files app.

> ...you cannot move or copy stuff around with netrw, because iVim cannot fork.

I've noticed this. I don't know what it means, but why is it necessary to cripple netrw this way? Is it related to Apple's sandboxing of apps?

> As for getting further assistance with iVim, I strongly suggest that you contact iVim's author on GitHub (https://github.com/terrychou/iVim). In my experience, he is responsive and helpful.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
eeweir@bellsouth.net

"(I)t is important that awake people be awake... the darkness around us is deep."

- William Stafford

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/F87F924A-0A6D-43B3-BB4D-BD49AFCCBC77%40bellsouth.net.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: