Saturday, May 18, 2019

Re: Vim "by far the best editor on the iPad"

> On Apr 3, 2019, at 4:56 PM, Peter King <peter.king@utoronto.ca> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Apr 03, 2019 at 12:33:15PM -0400, Eric Weir wrote:
>
>> I did a bit of poking around on the web about how I might go about this.
>> Still largely foreign territory for me. An initial question was whether
>> my MacBook Air could be the "real computer" that I would log into. I've
>> resolved that question. Only one specific question at this point: How do
>> you deal with the absence of an escape key on an iPad in this approach.
>> Confident that there will be other questions, but I'll wait for them to
>> get clear. Meantime I'll keep poking around, maybe trying to try some
>> things.
>
> I use an external keyboard which has an Esc key -- a Logitech K810
> bluetooth keyboard which is very satisfactory for the purpose. That
> plus a stand that will allow me to set the iPad up either vertically
> or horizontally (usually the former but the latter when I need to run
> something side-by-side with vim) works well for me. In essence the
> iPad is being treated as a dumb terminal, so where I run vim I also have
> all my other files and programs available. Of course, I'm old enough to
> have been raised on server/client mainframe computing, so to me this seems
> perfectly natural.

It's been a while since I first posted on this thread. In the interval the only thing I've done is some very tentative exploration of moving files between iVim and Dropbox and folders in the Files app on the iPad.

Two solutions to using Vim under iOS were recommended in response to my original post: logging onto a "real computer" with Blink/Mosh/SSH and running the Vim installation on the remote computer; running Vim directly on an iPad within the constraints of the iVim app.

I have no experience related to the first option. I sense the learning curve would be steep. I take it I could log into the MacBook on which my configuration of Vim is installed. Could I do that at any distance from the MacBook, say like 1000 miles?

Lotsa questions about running Vim on an iPad within the constraints of iOS/iVim. For starters, just two: Is it possible to create folders in the iVim sandbox, e.g., in the .vim folder? Where is the .vimrc?

As I indicated in my initial post, I've largely been away from Vim for a few years. Lotsa things have become Greek to me that once we're not. Help Appreciated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
eeweir@bellsouth.net

"(I)t is important that awake people be awake... the darkness around us is deep."

- William Stafford

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/621A5529-2986-4397-ABBE-7707287E0232%40bellsouth.net.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: