Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Re: Vim "by far the best editor on the iPad"

> On May 21, 2019, at 6:07 PM, 'Lifepillar' via vim_use <vim_use@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> On 18 May 2019, at 20:17, Eric Weir <eeweir@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>
>> Lotsa questions about running Vim on an iPad within the constraints of iOS/iVim. For starters, just two: Is it possible to create folders in the iVim sandbox, e.g., in the .vim folder?
>
> Yes. You can do it with netrw:
>
> :edit .
> d
> Type directory name
>
> You may get an error, but the directory is created. Anyway, much easier is to copy your .vim folder from your Mac using iTunes. For more about moving files into and from iVim, see `:help ios-share`. For iOS-specific information, see `:help ios`. You may long-tap with one finger to hide/show the extended keys above the keyboard and long-tap with two fingers to hide the keyboard (type with one finger to show it again): this will make more room for reading. Use two fingers to scroll.

Thanks much for the response.

I succeeded in creating a new folder. When I try to delete it I get "unable to remove directory…." and "Cannot make changes, 'modifiable' is off" I was able to rename it, though.

Wow! Copy the entire .vim folder to the iPad? I had assumed much of would be incompatible, that I'd have to recreate my setup piecemeal, one step at a time. E.g., I have vundle installed. It requires git. I gather there are a number of git apps for iOS. If I have one installed will sandboxing of apps allow vim to access git when I run vundle?

>> Where is the .vimrc?
>
> In /private/var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/APP-ID/Documents. Use :lcd to see the full path.
> You may access your sandboxed directory with netrw as above:
>
> :edit .
> :Rex (to exit netrw)
>
> See :help netrw for more information (only a subset of netrw functionality is working in iVim).

When I do :Rex nothing happens.

Does iVim have a default .vimrc? Or do I have to create it? If the former I don't find it.

I know I'm being I'm being really dense. I've been away from vim a good while. It will start coming back. Meantime, I appreciate the help.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
eeweir@bellsouth.net

"(I)t is important that awake people be awake... the darkness around us is deep."

- William Stafford

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/A03E028D-B436-4F49-A7E0-81D6D3628117%40bellsouth.net.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: