Thursday, December 22, 2022

Re: How to quickly move to a specific buffer?

On Thu, 22 Dec 2022 11:38:28 +0100
BPJ <bpj@melroch.se> wrote:
> I usually have one tab open for each buffer. Then I can jump between
> the tabs/buffers with COUNT + gt. You can set up 'tabline' to display
> the tab number and/or use :tabs (which I have mapped to <F-11>t) to
> see a list of the tabs. (Note: when I'm on termux and don't have too
> many tabs open I can just point my thumb on the tagline to switch —
> purists may shudder all they want! :-)

I did shudder, but I'm not gonna begrudge you your way. As long as it
works, no need to fix it. I just wanna add that using tabs as buffers
will keep you from using tabs as window-manager. I use tabs that way:
each tab has a set of windows, split and resized just the way I want.
The tabs are separated a/c a context. The context maybe a project (so
one tab per project) or a module (one tab for 'src/handle/', another for
'src/menu/').

Use cases:

o If I want to open a file without destroying the perfect arrangement of
windows I have got going on, I can open the file in a new tab.
o If I want to work on a different module, I can:
o Open a new tab
o ':tcd src/module/'
o ':e **/*<tab>'
That way I have a new workspace for that module.

If you don't require this workflow, or you've got a substitute for it,
using tabs as buffers won't be any less pure. If not, maybe you can do
a intuitive cost-benefit analysis and see if adopting a different
approach (buffers as buffers and tabs as window-manager) seems better.

--
Enan
3nan.ajmain@gmail.com
https://git.sr.ht/~enan/
https://www.github.com/3N4N

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/20221222180805.0f803047%40cirdan.

No comments: