Monday, March 28, 2011

Re: Make vim use the right external program

On 03/28/2011 08:11 AM, BPJ wrote:
> How can I make
>
> :!perl ...
>
> use the perl symlinked at ~/bin/perl
> rather than /usr/bin/perl without actually
> having to type :!~/bin/perl every time?

What's your $PATH set to?

You can find out what your system thinks it's set to with

set PATH

at the command-prompt and you can show what Vim thinks it is by
issuing

:echo $PATH

your ~/bin directory should precede /usr/bin in the path. If it
follows /usr/bin or is absent, you need to set your path
accordingly (and export it if you're on *nix). Usually you can
tweak this in your .bashrc, .bash_profile, or your Environment
Variables dialog on (win32).

In my .bash_profile it reads:

if [ -d ~/bin ] ; then
export PATH=~/bin:"${PATH}"
fi

and in my Win32, I have a local User setting something like

PATH=c:\users\tchase\bin;%PATH%

(I'm away from my Win32 box at work, so I'm shooting from the hip
on that and can't guide you to that dialog)

-tim

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: