Sunday, March 6, 2011

Re: using the help system in split screen mode

On Sun, Mar 06, 2011 at 12:48:09PM EST, ZyX wrote:
> Reply to message «Re: using the help system in split screen mode»,
> sent 20:03:40 06 March 2011, Sunday > by Chris Jones:

> > setl bt= | execute "vert help " a:s | execute ':redraw!'
> > ..
> > setl bt= | execute "help " a:s | execute ':redraw!'

> Just a minor fix: you don't need a second `execute' here as well as
> space after the `help':

>
> setl bt= | execute "help" a:s | redraw!
> (or, if you want to add space explicitely: `execute "help ".a:s')

Ah.. indeed. Now that's odd. Since I know nothing about vimscript,
I tested pretty much everything interactively from Vim's command line..
and I found I needed the additional space. Can't reproduce.. so you must
be right about that.¹

While I'm at it.. I had to run a guinea pig Vim session that I could
easily bounce because I was unable to find a way to make Vim reload the
script. If you just source xxx.vim.. it sees that the 'load' variable
exists and exits immediately & you're stuck with the old version.

Is there any way to do that²..?

Thanks,

cj

¹ Now, I remember hesitating between the simpler form I ended up using
and explicit concatenation via the '.' operator.. Pretty sure that's
what it was.

² .. w/o modifying the script, naturally.

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: