Saturday, November 26, 2011

Re: How to edit vimrc file on Windows 7?

On Nov 26, 4:30 pm, wolfv <wolfvo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am attempting to save changes to vimrc file (C:\Program Files
> (x86)\Vim\_vimrc) using Vim 7.3.46 on Windows 7.
>
> When I type :w! this message appears:
>     "_vimrc" E212: Can't open file for writing
> So I tried :w!!, but that didn't work either.
>
> I am logged in as Administrator.  The _vimrc file Properties, Security
> tab, says
>     Permissions for Administrators, Allow Write
> The Read-only attribute is not checked.
>
> How to edit vimrc file on Windows 7?

I believe this is the user account control or whatever UAC stands for.
In order to gain admin access, you actually need to TELL Windows,
"even though I'm admin, yes, I actually want to be admin for this
action" when you launch Vim.

Or, even better, don't edit the _vimrc in the Program Files directory.
Instead, edit it in your user-specific directory, which you can find
from within Vim by typing:

:echo $HOME

and pressing enter.

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: