Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Re: Debugging shell file failure (vimrun on Windows)

On Wednesday, March 27, 2013 5:53:35 AM UTC-5, Paul Moore wrote:
> I'm trying to run a script on the selection. This is on Windows 7 (64-bit).
>
> Basically, I'm selecting and area of text, then running :'<,'>!myscript.py
>
> The command returns with no output and a message "the command returned exit status 1". There is no information as to what went wrong, and when I try the same command from a command prompt, it works fine.
>
> I suspect there is something odd in either the quoting that is going on, or the environment used in the cmd.exe shell that is being executed by vimrun, but I don't know how I can find out.
>
> Can anyone suggest a way of debugging what exactly vim thinks it is running when this command fails?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul.

Normally in this situation I start by removing the range from the command and just executing it, to see any error messages in the cmd.exe window that pops up and requires pressing enter to continue. Then I might make a .bat wrapper for the command to see if THAT works and what it's getting, or appending an "& pause" to the end of the command. But your command is so simple I can't see how this would be failing. It looks like you posted to vim_dev about an issues related to shellxquote, can I assume this is the same issue?

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments: