Thursday, May 22, 2014

Re: Library/framework to manage uniformly *all* programming languages

xen wrote:
> BPJ, can I ask you something out in public?
>
> Since you and Miles Fidelman are responding to this same person after
> I have written that lengthy piece, and you're completely ignoring my
> contribution, I can only assume that I am coming across as arrogant.
>
> And you guys are trying to tone me down. Which is reasonable, I guess.

At least in my case, my response has nothing to do with yours - which,
by the way, I disagree with. Laziness is a GOOD thing in engineers -
research, don't reinvent the wheel, think before implementing, design
your way out of a job (or at least into the next one). Beyond that, it
wasn't (IMHO) on point.

My response was a somewhat snarky response to the original poster (and,
I think, on point).

Now thinking that your "contribution" was the be all and end all
response to the original poster - now that IS arrogant (or at least a
bit too full of yourself).

On the other hand, this is an Internet email list - nobody cares if you
come across as arrogant, what ultimately matters is if you're
substantive. In fact, again IMHO, nobody cares about you (or me) at
all. At best, leaving trolls aside: original-posters are looking for
answers to questions or to promote something; responders care about
giving back (maybe), gathering chits for future help, gaining cred - and
more cynically, showing off how smart, and/or clever, and/or snarky they
are; readers maybe learn something or at least are entertained.

Miles Fidelman



--
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: