Saturday, May 24, 2014

Speed of vim-fugitive in virtualized Windows

I use Tim Pope's excellent vim-fugitive for working with Git in Vim. But I find that when I run it in a Windows 8.1 virtual machine, various operations are very slow, compared to running it in OS X, Linux, or even native Windows. I haven't used a lot of its functionality, but one thing I've noticed in particular that is very slow is :cnext and friends after loading the revisions to the repository into quickfix with :Glog --. I also haven't used a lot of Git functionality in Windows, so I don't know if it's slow in general; but the simple things I do like adding, committing, branching, getting logs, etc. seem snappy enough.

Does anyone else even experiences this in such environments? I've noticed slowness in VirtualBox, VMware Fusion, and Parallels (all running on OS X), but the degree of slowness varies a little between them and between occasions using the same repository. I haven't done any formal timing, but my initial impression was that Parallels slowed it down the least; however, today I'm finding that its behavior is also slow.

And does anyone know what causes this? I know I find that Windows performance is slower in general in VMs, so it might just be a little slowness in the MSYS versions of GNU libraries that Git uses, plus a little slowness in Git, plus a little slowness in Vim, plus a little slowness in the plugin (which is interpreted, after all); but I'd like to find out there's something simple that could be done to speed it up.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: